Monday, May 14, 2007

Clash of cultures.

As u all know, i m an average indian dude from Kemaman, Terengganu. If u guys dont know Terengganu, here is some valueble info: A state in the east-coastal region of Peninsula Malaysia. It has a lot of natural resources n the best keropok lekor, I miss those... My thinking system is not that open, but it is usable at times... ha ha ha...

Hmmm... Kuala Lumpur... The big city, the spot of chances, blah, blah, blah... sigh... This post was inspired by the looks of Jln Bukit Bintang n i began to notice it on Friday, 11th of May when we were on our way home in Looi's car after clubbing at Ruums... I wasn't drunk, dont worry...

I do have cousins n relatives in KL, but the 1st time i came here for a long stay was when i studied in Kolej Tunku Abdul Rahman. My house is dead far, imagine Kemaman n KL. So, i had to stay at the hostel... That was a dumb statement as it is so obvious... sigh...

I used to live in a very not-so-open condition back in Terengganu. People do say stuffs regarding certain westernize issues n the comments r really really weird. That was the guidance of life for me at that time. Here in KL, it is different. I had a cultural shock though...

Guys n girls living in the same house with no ties at all. I've never seen this back in Terengganu. In fact, i used to have bad impressions on girls with guy housemates. It was shocking for me n i used to wonder y m i at this place. Changes do happen n i m on the flow. Now, i m staying in a house with 2 girl housemates. Of course, not in the same room n i would like to emphasize on that, NOT IN THE SAME ROOM!

There are not much ball nites or dance nites in Terengganu. Most of it r organized by non-government organizations n it is all dinner-based. Think about it, the nearest situation where i could get near a girl was during the school photography session. This is so embarassing... In KL, even schools have their own ball nite n i do enjoy ball nites... U know what i m saying...

The question that differenciates the "happening clan" n the "not-so-happening clan" goes like "do u go clubbing?". To b honest, there is no such thing in Terengganu. There are golf clubs, mat rempit clubs, scooterists clubs, football clubs, n so on but never heard of the "club" in Terengganu before. Now, my favorite spot is Bangsar of course... Look at how spoilt i m... sigh...

I used to hear about cultural shocks but i didnt expect to experience it myself. Well, the city is a tough place to live. Competition has always been the core essence of living in the city, n i m one of the competitors. I have learned that the art of gaining experience is adapting to the culture n the environment of the place i m in at the moment. I m not saying that KL is the best place on earth, but my point is, every place has its pros n cons. We have to live with it n accept it in order to like it...

Ganu Kite!!!! ha ha ha... I still love my hometown though... There is no place like home...

over n out...

2 comments:

cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cheryl said...

Drop by.

Hope it wasn't the sight of me that night, that inspired u to write this.

HAHA